Wednesday, January 11, 2012

{Yarn Along}

Dad's poor scarf has been frogged, again. Let me explain...

First I was doing it in a garter stitch border and the rest in stockinette, but even with that gartered border, it was still curling horribly. It was also taking FOREVER.

did I mention that I'm a bit impatient?

So then I ripped it out, and began doing the entire thing in garter stitch, but it felt too mindless.
So I ripped it out one, self promised last time, doubled up the wool, and began a basket weave, which is working out fantastically. Not too boring, but not too tricky, and going much faster this time.

Lotte's little candy floss hat, finished up last week and it looks darling. I had to flip the edge up for it to fit her right now, but I figured I would. I made it large enough to fit a one year old because I wanted it to last a while.



Also, I think I've finally got the hang of double pointed needles, it's too early to say though if I prefer them to circular. It might just depend on which project I'm doing.
I've started on
this, just as a little side project to keep working on with yarn scraps over time.
This is my first "hexipuff"-yup, I've got a loooong way to go.


I'm still not completely finished "Portrait of Van Gogh", but I'm near done.
I can't believe how much this poor artist went through to become what he did. He's often remembered as the artist who was "crazy" and the artist who "cut off his ear"...there's really so much more to his story than this.

He was eccentric, indeed.-However, he would tend to the homeless, weak, and the sick, giving them the clothes off of his own back, and it was more often than not, acts like these that earned him the reputation of being crazy.

Van Gogh was such a kind and generous person, living a chosen humble life, and looking out for his fellow man, which his paintings actually reflect.

Unlike other painters of his time who were painting the wealthy social scenes, Van Gogh was creating paintings like "the potato eaters" and scenes from low class pubs.


In the book are quotes from letters that he wrote to his brother, Theo, and this is one of my absolute favorites:

 "There may be a great fire in our soul, yet no one ever comes to warm himself at it, and the passers-by see only a wisp of smoke coming through the chimney."

                                                                                                                    -Letter to Theo, 1880




For more weekly yarn along stories, visit Ginny at Small Things!

15 comments:

  1. Oh that is a darling baby hat- and baby too ;) And the hexipuffs look interesting :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love the basket pattern. i just finished a doll blanket in that.
    and van gogh is one of my favorite artists, he was such an amazing soul. i am going to see if i can find the book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a beautiful quote. We visited the Van Gogh Museum on our honeymoon and it was really interesting to read some of the letter between the brothers.
    You did not start on a hexipuff quilt!! I am jealous - mostly because you will actually finish it (maybe in 14 years but you will finish it). I just inherited some hexagons my grandma knit for a large blanket - only 9 though. I need to find the pattern...
    Oh, Lotte. She is sweet. LOVE her hat!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the little hat and the girl beneath it too ;-) I'm Dutch like Van Gogh, so I'm thrilled you're reading a book about him. We have several books too and we love his paitings.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are brave to start the quilt. I LOVE it but suspect it may remain a pipe dream...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cute baby (and hat of course!)

    The scarf is looking good, glad you've found a stitch pattern that you're happy with :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad you're feeling more comfortable with dpns. They are fun to knit with once you get past the how do I hold 5 needles at once stage. I know what you mean about a project seemingly taking forever. I have two of those and they're still on the needles and will probably be for a bit more time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm glad you found a pattern that works for you.

    Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  9. such a cute baby and oh yes the hat as well....hehe!! It took me a while to get the hang of dpns too.....practice, practice, practice makes it easier....happy knitting!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful work! And I'm going to add that book to my list.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful little hat :) She is such a sweetie! Sorry about the frogging, I hope the next time is the last time to knit it up.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love basketweave! It is one of my favorite stitches of all time. So classy...

    ReplyDelete
  13. How are you liking the hexipuffs? I'm not a sock knitter so I don't have a ton of minis around but I love the look of it. I'm trying very hard not to start one! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a cute little model you have! and hat of course! I want to make the quilt so bad but I don't know if I want to sew all those little hexipuffs up!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ah, the DREADED stockinette curl. It's SO frustrating, isn't it? I love the look of stockinette; I think it's just beautiful. If only it wouldn't curl!
    JNCL
    The Beauty of Eclecticism

    ReplyDelete