Thursday, February 23, 2012

DIY Travel Tape Tutorial {Stash Bash}




For this week's stash bash (a challenge to use up what I've already got kickin' around my art studio) I decided to dive into the box of old maps that have been lurking for a few years now.

I just can't say no to paper, which leaves me with cuttings of various magazines, newspapers, wrapping paper, wall paper, and yes, my biggest downfall....Maps. Especially vintage maps. 
Who could possibly turn down those beautiful colours and fonts? Not I!

This was a quick, satisfying little project. I can't wait to make more from other paper scraps.

If you would like to create some of your own, here's what you need:

An old map
double sided tape
xacto knife or scissors
cutting mat and ruler (if you're using an xacto knife.)


I find that it's easier to work with the width of the map, rather than the length, but it's entirely up to you.

Take your double sided tape and peel it slightly off the roll. Stick it down on the wrong side of the map. (There really is no wrong side of the map, but pick a side you like best and make sure you don't stick the tape to that side!)
Slowly unroll the tape, sticking it down securely as you go. Try to keep it going in a straight line. You could use a guide, or draw a pencil line with a ruler if you like.  The wonderful things about maps though is that there are already all sorts of guidelines on the map to follow.

Once you've pressed all your tape down to cover the strip of map you want to cover, cut the tape off the roll. 
Now lay your map down, tape side up, on  your cutting mat, and gently cut down the sides of the double sided tape, creating your tape strip.
Don't peel the backing off! Roll your tape strip up around a spool, or secure it with a paper clip or clothes pin. When you go to use it, then you peel off the backing, and voila, Tape!


Places to use your fancy new tape:
Sealing Envelopes
Binder divider tabs
Tops of rolled up paper lunch bags
folded over to make flags for cupcake toppers
drink markers on the sides of paper cups 
labels
scrapbooking

So many possibilities..use your imagination!

Pin It

14 comments:

  1. I completely agree with you...I love old maps too. I love this project. Thanks for sharing and joining me again : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woah! Aweome, I love this. You are such a smartie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd like to use it to close the top of gift bags, so people don't peek at the present inside. Great tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is neat. Where do you get the tape? When you mentioned double-stick tape, I'm thinking of the Scotch brand that is sticky already on both sides and that wouldn't work well. So is this tape like the Twin-Tack sheets that we used to use for art class?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is double sided tape, but with sticker backing on one side. It's available at most craft/art stores-sometimes in the framing/matting section. It looks a lot like masking tape at first glance;)

      Delete
  5. This is such a fantastic idea! I'm a sucker for paper, too, and I have a bunch of maps as well as plenty of other types of paper. I will definitely be making this! Thanks for sharing.
    x Katherine

    ReplyDelete
  6. i have a bunch of double sized tape! awesome idea

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you. What a beautiful idea. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a beautiful and simple idea. Thank you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a wonderful idea and I am thinking ribbon would work also. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your maps tape too, it would be perfect for crafty things! I have this linked to my washi tape post as well today, nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a cute project! I love it so much that I decided to feature it in our roundup of map crafts! Check it out here: http://www.favecraftsblog.com/link-love-map-crafts/

    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete