Wednesday, July 25, 2012

{ yarn along }


I'm happy to say that this week I finished Lotte's little rag rug. She seemed to know it was hers right away when she crawled on to it and laid her head down, and gently pat the rug with her chubby hands.



I wanted to show you all some close ups of some of the feed sack fabrics that revealed themselves one print at a time as I made my way through each ball.
I really fell in love with the reds and blues...and especially when the ended up together.



I think that this will be a cozy little spot for her to go to when she's feeling tired, or a good place to park her bottom while she enjoys eating (reading) one of her little books.


I finally started my rae that I've been dying to try for a long time now. I picked a soft cotton and bamboo blend in chartreuse...I bought the last few skeins left so I got a really good deal. It feels too nice though for me to be using...I feel like I should still be *practicing* with acrylics.
One of Lotte's little tiny hair clips makes a perfect stitch marker, and I can easily move it up my work as I go, to count my increased rows.


and this folks, is my reading for the next month. Or at least until I get this task finished. 
I have years and years of one of my favorite magazines, Country Living, stored on a book case in my art studio.
And what's worse....I have both British and American issues. And they've gotten out of control. 

Hello, My Name is Corrie, and I am a Country Living Addict. There. I said it.

I've decided to do the unthinkable, and go through each one and rip (*gasp*) out my favorite recipes, articles, how to's and inspirations etc, and store them in a binder with plastic sleeves. 

I never thought that this day would come, but alas, it has. I want the space that they're taking up for things that just matter more. 

I thought it would be a dreadful task, but as I got going, I wondered why I hadn't done this ages ago. Now I'll be able to open up binders and immediately be able to see my favorite things without having to weed through the ads and articles that I don't care about. 
It's rather refreshing. I've gone through probably about 30 issues today, and already have condensed the space to about the size of two magazines. Incredible!

Playing with Ginny in yarn along.

21 comments:

  1. Well done, my friend, I'm proud of you. Show those magazines who's boss.
    And PLEASE come visit and teach me how to make a rag rug. I was just eyeing patterns this week. And bring Lotte....oh heck, bring everyone.
    PS I love the green Rae!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd be thrilled to walk you through a rag rug!! I wish I could come and show you, in person :( One of these days, right?

      Delete
    2. Make us a tutorial! I would love to make some too!

      Delete
    3. Perhaps I WILL!! Ok-i'll do it:)

      Delete
  2. the rug looks fab. i really like the idea, of the rags too.

    having all those snippets in binders is amazing, but i've always been terrible at doing it. well done! lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the rug! It is beautiful and I bet it brightens up the spot you have it placed. I have given up my hoarding of magazines (most of it!).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done on finishing the rug. It looks really lovely. :)
    I don't blame you - I fell in love with Country Living during our last holidays because the house we were staying at had stacks of it in the library. Putting your favourite things in a binder sounds like an awesome idea though.
    Ronnie xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that rag rug. You have inspired me and I am going to learn to make one. Way to go on organizing the magazines!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so jealous you have that rug finished already! Mine won't be done until the kids are in university, I swear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I did have a few factors to my advantage. 1: the rags were already torn and in balls before I even started. 2: mine isn't massive
      3: mine was a little more portable, because it wasn't on massive knitting needles! (like yours!)

      Delete
  7. Your rug is so beautiful, congratulations!
    I want to make one too, maybe we should have a big
    rag rug along!
    Great job on culling the magazines. I did the same thing
    with Southern Living a few years back and really haven't
    missed them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a beautiful warm space for your little one! I love the mix of fabrics you have used :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. The rug is beautiful. What an heirloom! You have quite a stack of magazines to get through! They say admitting the problem is the first step of breaking the addiction! Enjoy :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the rag rug you made!! Years ago I tried making one, but it came out all wonky and wouldn't lay flat. Yours turned out really great!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the rug! May I make a suggestion about the mags? Get a program like SpringPad or Evernote and save the articles there instead! I think one of those programs allows scanned articles, but isn't most of the content online? Save the links to the recipes and projects you love. Then you can not only share them, but the magazines can be donated, in their entirety, to a shelter or library for someone else to use! My mom and I use SpringPad to share recipes all the time...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't heard of springpad (sometimes I think that I live under a rock)...I'll look into that!

      Delete
  12. What a beautiful rag rug! I would love to make one someday.

    And what a lovely blog space - thank you for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very beautiful! My carpal tunnel hasn't quite let me complete a rag rug, but I can turn out the hats and scarves. I'm always inspired by the craft of others!

    ReplyDelete
  14. love. love. love.
    so beautiful! congrats corrabelle!
    XO

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love it. Like to make one for my house

    ReplyDelete