Wednesday, January 23, 2013

{Yarn Along : Capucine}

~ Two of my favorite things are knitting and reading, and the evidence of this often shows up in my photographs.  I love seeing what other people are knitting and reading as well. So, what are you knitting or crocheting right now? What are you reading? Yarning Along with Ginny

I've had several longer projects on the go lately and finally managed to polish off a couple of them...one of them being my Downton Cowl. I messed up my counting a few times and had to pull it back a row or two, on several occasions. Towards the end though I could tell where I was without counting at all. I love the way it turned out...and the madelinetosh dk is so luxurious.

This week I just wanted something small though, something fun, and some instant gratification. 

The little miss was in need of a hat that ties to her very cute, but very stubborn noggin. The girl will not leave a hat on her head...which means half the hats that I've made her have been passed on to other, more obedient children in the family. 


The girl needed ear flaps, and ties. After a little bit of poking around on ravelry, I came across the
perfect hat, intended for an adult. 
It was supposed to be knit in a bulky yarn with a large needle, so I went down to a worsted weight yarn (that I've been itching to use for quite a while!)  and a smaller needle and it worked out perfectly. 









For the tassel and braided ties I mixed in some pretty blue fingering wool that I had leftover from another project just to add some weight variety.
I expected a bit more of a fight about wearing it, but she seemed to rather like her new hat once it was tied on. (Okay, I did bribe her with a piece of popcorn. I'm assuming i'll have to sweeten up those bribes over time...if she's anything like her brothers.)
She seemed to enjoy the tassel at the back too, and was shaking her head back and forth to make it move, as she watched in the mirror.
I think I may knit a few more of these for baby gifts, it was so fun, and quick!

My reading has been slowed again, but I'm still plugging away at "The Mermaid's Chair" and "Mere Christianity". The Mermaid's Chair is continuing to grip me with scenery and writing style alone...while the main story line is continuing to annoy me.

I'm so used to my old reading days when I could polish off a novel in a day, easily. But for now, my days are filled with sweetness that no novel can bring. 
P.S. Don't forget to check back on Thursday to join in on the Lexicon Project! 

12 comments:

  1. I love the tassel and all the modeling shots!!! That is such an adorable hat and your daughter is a cutie!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww how cute! The hat looks a perfect fit, well done :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. She is so sweet - her hat is perfect for her! Love that design, too - I might have to add it to my queue!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Found you through Ginnys blog. What a fun hat! I have a bad hat wearer too. maybe i will try one for my littlest guy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. O, I just love bonnets. I love them so much!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How I love your sweet goofy girl! And that hood is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a perfectly cute little hat; your daughter looks adorable, she's quite a model.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a darling! I may have to look into that hat pattern! I think it's just what I'm looking for for me!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the look of this cute little hat - can see a couple of my little ones in something like this when winter comes.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This hat --and owner of this little hat!!!-- are adorable!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. how absolutly adorable! your hat and girl!

    ReplyDelete