Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Yarn Along...Downton Cowl

~ Two of my favorite things are knitting and reading, and the evidence of this often shows up in my photographs.  I love seeing what other people are knitting and reading as well. So, what are you knitting or crocheting right now? What are you reading?



I've put aside my sock for a few days to work on the "Downton Cowl"-something that I signed up for as a Downton Abbey knit along over at Luvin The Mommyhood.
I messed up the lace pattern in the second row and had to rip back a few rows and start over. I'm terrible at counting while the kids are trying to talk to me, or if there are any shenanigans going on around our house. (It's safe to say that there usually are.)
Once I got it ripped back and got the first set of pattern work done, I found it much easier to figure out where I was in the pattern if I was interrupted. And not near as much counting now because I can just see where I am, what I've just done and what needs done next without looking at the pattern chart.

This is my first project using Madelinetosh wool. I'm not sure that there's any going back after this, knitting with Madelinetosh is pure luxury!
I'm a bit confused because the woman who owns the yarn store where I bought this wool told me that i'm knitting wrong and that my stitches are going to come out twisted. (Because I knit continental, she said I should be knitting through the back loops?)
It bothered me a bit-and it took a bit of motivation to start again. I didn't want to continue if I was doing it *wrong*...but at the same time what i'm doing feels right, and ends up looking the way it's supposed to. 

I've watched quite a few knitting videos on youtube and I don't think doing anything different than what they're doing. And my stitches aren't twisted either, so I'm not really sure what she was trying to say.
Once I got over that hump, I'm  back to loving knitting. There were a few days though where I just left it in it's bowl afraid I was somehow going to mess things up.

I've been reading "The Mermaid's Chair"...it's been sitting in my "to read" pile for a while now and decided it was time. To be honest, I wasn't a big fan of the story line (from what I know by reading the jacket anyway). Stories about unfaithful spouses-or stories that excuse that behavior, rather, tend to bother me.
I do like Sue Monk Kidd already though, so I decided to give the book a chance.

Also, re-reading "Mere Christianity" by C.S. Lewis. It's been a while since I've read it and found it floating in a stack of my Dad's books.
It might take me a little while to get two books read with the little reading time I've got...but at least I wont' be short on reading material!

P.S...Don't forget! The Lexicon project starts tomorrow!! Check back here or over at House Full of Jays for the project word of the week!

10 comments:

  1. I loved reading Mere Christianity, amazing book. I have found that littles make chart following nearly impossible. The cowl looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm in the Downton Abbey KAL that Luv in the Mommyhood is doing. The cowl is looking nice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are not doing anything wrong. Your stitches do not look twisted to me. And you know what? youtube would not lie. Lovely yarn to knit with and I love the bits of lavender!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karen! I must say that i'm still a little bit paranoid about the whole thing.
      And yes, it was those little bits of lavender that drew me!

      Delete
  4. Your wool! It's even prettier knit up! Look at you go! I still think that lady didn't know what she meant...

    I was curious what you'd think of The Mermaid Chair...I'm keeping my opinions mum until you're done reading though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your stitches look fine! What beautiful wool... Can't wait to see your cowl all finished!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The cowl looks amazing, and the colour, gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your cowl is gorgeous! And you're right - once you experience a wool like Madelinetosh, it's hard to go back to anything else. :) When I knit continental (which isn't often), I don't ever go through the back loop...I wonder if she just got confused. Don't let it bother you either way - your project looks wonderful and your stitches certainly are not twisted!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree with the others; your stitches do not look twisted. Don't worry about what the shop owner said. You are turning out some good looking knitting however you are doing it. Now I just need to go get some Madelinetosh to try! -- Min

    ReplyDelete